6.18.2010

Put the Roof on the Sucka'

So here is the work that's been done to my Father-in-Law's house since my last post:


Here's the front of the house as of 6/17.


Photobucket


As you can see, there is a garage now, owing to the fact that Dick and I framed it all up. The other ting you'll notice is the roof trusses are all up. That was quite an ordeal involving like 10 guys, a crane, and the requisite swearing and posturing. My job was to get stuff for people and be unobtrusive. I succeeded in the first and usually succeeded in the second. Mostly due to swearing and posturing.





And here's the left side of the house. You'll notice that the roof trusses hang out a ways; this is to accommodate the roof that will hang over the deck off the upper floor. Also, we've started putting up the house wrap.

Photobucket





Here's the back.

Photobucket





Here's the interior. All of the rooms on this floor (with the exception of the kitchen pantry) are done. Pretty different than last time!

Photobucket






And finally, here are the cedar logs that will be the pillars on either side of the front door. Being in northern Idaho, they're going for the rustic look. These logs came from the property here, and we stripped the bark off 'em the old fashioned way, using a sharp ax. I felt all old-fashioned and frontiersy and it made me want to smoke my pipe while I worked.

Photobucket

4 comments:

Adam Waterford said...

So, this is what a skeleton house looks like, hehe. Seeing the frame of the house gives me a thrill feeling of what this house will look like when everything is finished. The roof trusses do a couple of things aside from serving as a structural support for the house. It also supports the component of the home’s roof, and that includes the shingles, and roof sheathing.

Rufus Mcclure said...

From the looks of it, it seems there is still a lot of work to be done. It is a good thing that you completed the framing. It looks sturdy, both inside and out. What kind of roofing are you planning to put up: asphalt or metal roofing? Well, either way, I wish you good luck with the construction!

Terry Arnold said...

I bet this house is complete by now. I want to see the finished product. Do you have any pictures? I wonder what kind of shingles they used for the roof, and what kind of windows they installed. Anyway, looking at how the construction went, I’m sure this house looks amazing now. =)0

Tiffany Larsen said...

The structure already looks so beautiful with just the skeleton structure, what more if it’s already finished? I’m also curious as to how it looks now. By the way, what type of roof did you use? Post some pictures of it too. Thanks!

-Tiffany Larsen